Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"We Have a Lot of Work to Do"

America. We did it.

As I reflect on this historic moment in American history, I recall one moment in my career when I was managing the preparation of our attendance to one of the largest trade shows in in the world called CeBit, held in Hanover, Germany.   This particular show took place just after the U.S. came to the aid of Kuwait and driving Iraq back in the first Gulf War.  Months earlier, we were warned by the State Department to take added precautions and to be alert.  We were all a little nervous about attending this show, but decided to go anyways.  A number of bigger companies pulled out and while at the show, we noticed those empty booth spaces.

When we got to the show, we got an invitation by American Embassy to a huge, onsite party thanking us for being there and to celebrate our victory in Iraq.  I can still hear the song "Born in the U.S.A." by Bruce Springstein pumping from the sound system.   The pride of being an American was overwhelming.  Germans and other Europeans from the same massive building joined in in the festivities.  It was truly a moving moment. 

When I left that fair, it felt good to be an American.  Our cause was a good one.  I also felt that people all around the world looked to America for inspiration.   Things changed not that long afterwards.   We were attached and politics became very divided.  I haven't felt the pride I felt in Hanover, Germany in a long time.   As time passed, I saw our constitutional rights as Americans slowly chiseled away.   I felt the world turn away from America.  I was hearing that America was arrogant, a nation taking on the world by itself, with absolutely no respect for what others felt or feared.  We cut ties with those who did not get in line.   I heard our leaders say, "You are either with us, or not". 

As a citizen, I felt that America had been hijacked from me.  I didn't feel part of this new world order, and wasn't proud of it either.  My flag, our nation, the spirit had all been taken away by the party in charge.  These American symbols somehow became the new symbol of the party in charge.  It felt horrible.  I can't tell you how isolated I felt as an American.   I can't tell you the shame I felt being an American to the rest of the world.

Things began to change however when the campaign began.  For the first time in 8 years, I felt hope again.  When Obama went on a European tour, I was so surprised to see the crowds that he drew at the Victory Column at Tiergarten Park in Berlin, where he drew a crowd of more than 200,000.  This was Germany giving their support to Obama - well before American was willing to support him fully.  Seeing this, I had hope - real hope for a change.  I saw the young become engaged and get involved.  It was exciting. 

I still wasn't fully sold on the Obama story - not until he spoke at the Democratic National Convention and excepted the nomination to be the Democratic presidential hopeful.  Throughout the entire campaign, Obama has been attached from every angle - even those in his own party.  Throughout it all, Obama has kept his head held high, remained cool, and held an election like no other that I have ever witnessed.  A friend told me this morning that Obama was "James Bond" cool.  I couldn't have said it better.

The entire world was watching last night.  Last night, changed everything.  America spoke with RECORD shattering results at the polls.  Never in Americas history has there been such huge turnouts.  NEVER.  Never before, has a black man ever made it to even being considered to run as President, but last night, for the first time, we have a black man as President of the United States, and yet, we voted for the man - not the color of his skin.  

There is a spirit here that has re-awoken - that being that anything is still possible in America.  I am again proud to be an American.  I live in Florida, which for ages, as been a Red Conservative state.  Last night, like so many other previously red states, voted as a Blue state.  

A historic milestone has been overcome.  I feel proud once again that I am an American.  I have hope - even in a time where we face many challenges.  I have hope - not only for America, but for the world.  

Phil 

No comments: