
John McCain has always been known as a hot-head. Where might this quick temper and rage come from?
For the longest time, even before his run for for presidency, I knew he was a POW and was exposed to unthinkable acts of torture. I have always been concerned about this and how this kind of treatment could affect any sound mind.
That said, I wanted to know more about his time as a POW.
Shot down over Hanoi
John was a jet fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, and as we have all learned, he has been called a hero for not just being a POW, but enduring years of tortures - literally. Let me say right now, I am not writing this to attach the man, but rather, to raise the issue where might Senator McCain's temper might have found it's roots.
Life as a POW in the Hanoi Hilton
On Oct 26, 1967, John McCain's Skyhawk wing was blown off by a anti-aircraft missile near Hanoi. His jet immediately went into a vertical inverted spin, causing him to bail out upside down at high speed. The force of the ejection fractured McCains right arm in 3 places, his left arm, and his right leg and knocked him unconscious. McCain landed in Truc Back Lake and nearly drowned. Eventually, a mob pulled him ashore, spat on him, kicked him, and stripped him of his clothes. His left shoulder was crushed with the butt of a rifle and he was bayoneted in his left foot and abdominal area. He was shortly thereafter, rushed to the infamous "Hanoi Hilton" (Hoa Lo Prison) where is living hell was about to begin.
He was in bad physical condition when he reached the the prison. His captors refused to give him medical care unless he gave them military information; they beat him and interrogated him, but McCain offered only his name, rank and serial number. Having been trained as a figher pilot, John knew was lay ahead as a POW.
Near Death
Thinking that he was near death, McCain said he would give them more information if taken to the hospital, hoping he could then put his interrogators off once he was treated. A prison doctor came and said it was too late, as McCain was about to die anyway. Only when the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a top admiral, did they give him medical attention. It was then that his POW status made the front pages of the New York Times and Washington Post. Interrogation and beatings resumed in the hospital; McCain gave the North Vietnamese his ship's name, squadron's name, and the attaches intended target. (Disclosing this information was in violation of the U.S. Code of Conduct, which mcCain later wrote he regretted, although he saw the information as being of no practical use for his captors.)
Solitary Confinement
In March, 1968, McCain was put into solitary confinement, where he remained for two years. Think about that - you live in a tiny box of a room, no ventilation, no sun, a hard board as a bed, and a horrible diet for two full years. Having read this, I felt for the guy and questioned how would this have affected my spirit, my health, and most importantly, my mental well being.
In mid-June, Major Bai, commander of the North Vietnamese prison camp system, offered McCain a chance to return home early after discovering that John's father was named Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Command. McCain turned down the offer, which only made his captors more angry. Bai's assistant told McCain that things would get very bad.
Ending one's own life
In late August 1968, a program of vigorous torture methods began on McCain. It must have been a living hell. I can't even begin to imagine what this must have been like. The North Vietnamese used rope bindings to put him into prolonged, painful positions and severely beat him every two hours, all while he was suffering from dysentery. His right leg was re-injured, his ribs were cracked, some teeth were broken at the gumline, and his left arm was re-fractured. Lying in his own waste, his spirit was broken; the beginnings of a suicide attempt were stopped by guards.
After four days of this, McCain signed and taped an anti-American propaganda "confession" that said, in part, "I am a black criminal and I have performed the deeds of an air pirate. I almost died, and the Vietnamese people saved my life, thanks to the doctors." He used stilted Communist jargon and ungrammatical language to signal that the statement was forced. McCain was haunted then and since with the belief that he had dishonored his country, his family, his comrades and himself by his statement, but as he later wrote, "I had learned what we all learned over there: Every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine." His injuries left him incapable of raising his arms above his head to this day. Under extreme duress, virtually all the POWs eventually yielded something to their captors. McCain's solitary confinement ended in March, 1970.
Altogether, McCain was held as a prisoner of war for five and a half years.
Where am I going with this?
We often hear how violent criminal's pasts can often be traced back to an abusive household. How many times have we witnessed young men who have killed their wives and kids, again, only to find that they have had a troubled past. We even hear that men who have had long stays in civilian prisons and how they have become hardened and have developed hatred toward authoritative figures. Now add isolation and torture to the mix and you know that this has to speed the process of change on the mind. It has too. How can this inhumane treatment not affect how one reacts to a crisis, to others speaking down to you? How can it not affect your temper?
While I respect that John McCain served our nation well and did so honorably, I often question how his time as a tortured POW might have affected how he own anger, how he handles conflict and more importantly, how he might handle an international crisis. Frankly, it worries me. I seriously question his ability to made a rational decisions when it comes to the future of this nation knowing that Senator McCain has earned the nickname "Senator Hothead". That worries me - and it should worry you too. His repeated references to more wars, and a long and protracted conflict that may last this century should be seriously considered when it comes time to pulling the lever in the voting booth. (See spine chilling McCain video - click here).
Wouldn't you think there might be a correlation between his tortured past and his quick tempter - him snapping over minor issues. With so much at risk, with the U.S. already involved in two wars, does it really make sense to have a person who was tortured for years have the ability to wipe out nations with the press of a single button? Does that not make you think about what might really happen?
McCain's Rage - Could his past be where this Rage is coming from?
To see McCain's own admission of a bad temper, and McCain's co-workers discuss that rage, click here.

1 comment:
You know, Karl Rove used this exact same tactic against McCain in the 2000 elections during the primaries. It worked and Bush won handily. I have heard it mentioned again during this election, but not from the Obabma camp. I don't think Obama should to try to raise doubts about McCain by suggesting he is unstable because of his war injuries and torture, that might backfire and people will get pissed off because he is considered a hero and it will look un-American and un-Patriotic. Funny how patriotism has been twisted by the current administration into a weapon you can use against anyone who says anything negative against American policy, Republicans, the President. We can thank Karl Rove for that too. What I found very disturbing was the video showing how war oriented McCain is. Obama should do an ad that shows how the current administration and the Right wing inner circle, Rove, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Libbey were bent on war even before Bush got elected. Remeber, these are the PNAC guys:
http://www.newamericancentury.org/
These are the guys that wanted to remove Saddam and exact regime change in Iraq to "protect our resources" (oil) even before Bush won in 2000. They said that in order to get the country to buy into what they wanted to do, there would need to be some "catalyzing event" like a Pearl Harbor. 9/11 happened 11 months later and two years after that, we were invading Iraq. Clearly, McCain is on the same page as these guys. That video showed McCain time and time again saying we will be at war again. This is the same rhetoric as the PNAC guys and it shows that voting for McCain is voting for 4-8 years more of these terribly flawed policies that have gotten the country into the messes that it is in today.
I have just started reading a book called "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klien. The book is about how leaders use catastrophic events to basically scare people into letting them push policies through that otherwise wouldn't stand a chance. The events can be anything from attacks on the country to acts of mother nature. It's a good read.
I know I'm preaching to the choir on this, but I cannot get my head around how popular the McCain/Palin ticket is. I mean, I can understand that many people are simply racist and cannot bear the thought of a black president. It's very sad, but I can understand that racism exists. I would be very disappointed to think that half of the country is that narrow minded. What I don't understand is how people can convince themselves that McCain/Palin is the ticket of change. Just saying you are doesn't make it so, though Bush has been using that tactic for eight years. "The fundamentals of our economy are strong". No they are not. Stop saying that.
I guess the other problem is that Republicans fear taxes and they think that if a Democrat is elected, taxes will automatically go up. Well, whether they do or not, I would rather have my taxes go up as long as my IRA and my 401k and my dollars are still worth something. I would rather my taxes went up than the economy tank. I would rather have someone smart running the country. John Stewart said the other night Navy Seals are the "elite" of the armed forces and that's who they send in to get things done. Why don't some people want our President to be elite too?
Scott
Post a Comment